Friday, March 4, 2022

Apricity West 2

February 25, 2022, Friday
Harbottle Brew Company for lunch again… we got Wonton soup and Hot and Sour soup to go from Chopstix.

February 26, 2022, Saturday
Very special event to celebrate baby sister’s birthday. Jim provided the s-t-r-e-t-c-h transportation and bubbly. His mom treated us to a magnificent Italian restaurant, Vivace, in the foothills. 






Jim’s custom label


Baby sister, Terri

February 27, 2022, Sunday
Terri and I went for a bike ride on the paved bike path at the end of our road. First time out in a while and it felt great. It seems that breweries have been the primary activity of late. Since it's the weekend, T&J can join us for more brew hopping today. 
 
The Barrio Brewing Co.


Moto Sonora Brewing Co.




Two more down, twelve to go. 
 
February 28, 2022, Monday
Finally bit the bullet and went to Urgent Care about my sinus situation. I felt much better using the homeopathic pills for my allergies until a wet, very windy day last Wednesday. With constant sneezing, dripping and blowing, my battle with allergies has yielded a sore throat and thicker, darker nasal mucus (sorry) (poor Rich) and the FEAR of sinusitis. I had a sinus infection when I was 7 months pregnant (a LONG time ago) and do not want to suffer from that again. My doctor, Mario, sympathized with me as he himself  has allergies year round and takes Claritin. He said Arizona doesn’t have tornadoes, or hurricanes, or blizzards, but it does have allergies. There is no cure, but the way to treat it is with a medicine of choice every single day. He wrote a script for Amoxicillin to take if and when my face feels like someone punched me. I am grateful to have it on hand and actually had a calm night and morning so far. 
 
March 1, 2022, Tuesday
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TERRI! 

Card by moi

Started with daily Claritin today which I tried before in Congress - will use homeopathic pills if sneezing and running persists.
 
We went back to Firetruck Brewery and had the same lunch as the last time - Loaded Nachos. It is enormous and delicious. We actually took part of it home today...


Gorgeous flower planter around deck

March 2, 2022, Wednesday
So the deal with Rich today was I’d go to another brewery for lunch if he’d go for a bike ride first. So we did and enjoyed it until the very end when I hit stupid loose gravel and my bike pitched right and I skidded on my right leg and elbow. I must say it shook me up (literally) so we walked our bikes (me hobbling and using it as support as it was hard to put weight on my leg) home about a quarter of a mile. Dr. Rich peroxided, Neosporined, and bandaged my elbow. 

This is after a few days healing

Took 1000 mg of Tylenol and laid down for a bit with leg elevated. Needless to say, we didn’t make the brewery for lunch. But I was perfectly comfortable sitting and sleeping. 
 
March 3, 2022, Thursday - HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEBBIE MOUGIN๐Ÿ’•

Since my leg was so painful to step on, we went to Emergency Care nearby and were pleased that we were the first to arrive and got in right away. The doctor explained that based on where the pain was and wasn’t, it was probably the large muscle in my shin which was causing it. That sounded good and I was ready to get up and leave when he offered to do an X-ray just to be sure. I said that I was really there for peace of mind, so we should. It took forever for him to come back - lo and behold, it was an upper Fibular fracture. The fibula is the smaller bone in your shin that connects the ankle to the knee - my first broken bone ever! 


He gave me an immobilizer brace and crutches to use if I am doing any shopping or walking. The pain will get worse over the next few days and then it will be manageable. 
 
After making an appointment with Orthopedic Surgeon for follow up, we sat outside and watched the equivalent of an air show by Davis-Monthan Air Force Base with jets of all shapes and sizes flying overhead.
 
March 4, 2022, Friday
Saw Dr. Anctil at Tucson Orthopedic Institute today. He took one look at my X-rays and said, "Not a thing you can do about it". I was so grateful because I didn’t want to make a decision about surgery. He also said he would not recommend using the immobilizer brace (phew) and to let pain guide how active I am for the next 6 weeks of healing. Horseback riding is out, unfortunately, but my compadres can and should still go as planned. 

Other than being in 3 different medical care facilities, this was a good week. Minimal sinus/allergy issues - Claritin seems to be working. No surgery, no brace, Tylenol as needed, one crutch for support, no big decisions to make. 
Taking a brief break from walking, dancing, and biking. It could have been so much worse. 

Daughter Shannon and I were mentors at an elementary school in Springfield while she was in college. That’s where we connected with Kijuana (3rd grade), Chester (2nd grade), and Lydia (1st grade) Middlebrooks. These adorable kiddos lost both parents at such a young age, but their grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Baymon (both preachers) took them in and raised them until they were old enough to go out on their own. I have stayed in touch with all of them as best I could over the years and the girls just informed me that grandma was in the hospital transitioning. She passed yesterday. ๐Ÿ˜ข Rest In Peace to a remarkable woman. 




By the way, the more I hear the jets overhead, the more I wonder if it has to do with Russia given the latest news… we have not seen/heard this much activity here before.

6 comments:

  1. Welcome to the Road Rash Club, Monda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad it was not much worse, 2 broken bones would have been much worse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry you have had such an “eventful” week! I took a spill on a bike 2 years ago while I was in Florida! Took forever to heal. Hope you are better soon๐Ÿšด‍♂️!!
    Love to hear about your adventures. Happy belated Bithday to your sister๐ŸŽˆ
    Love Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry for your accident and such an active week but it could have been worse as you said. My new neighbor fell on the ice and broke her ankle and has crutches now until it heals. Things happen so fast. Wishes for a speedy recovery, Monda. Happy Birthday to Terri ๐ŸŽˆ๐ŸŽ‚๐ŸŽŠ๐ŸŽถ⚘ Luv Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes! What a week! As a lifelong allergy sufferer, and someone recently prone to accidents, I feel for you!!! Glad to hear it will all heal on its own. So sorry to hear about Mrs. Baymon, I know you care a lot about that family. Jelly (jealous) of your limousine ride! Love, Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  6. You got this far with no broken bones until now? Me? Two broken wrists, two broken toes, one on each foot within six weeks, three broken ribs and a fractured vertebrae. I'm clumsy, I
    guess. My worst bike accident was when I ran over a porcupine, face planted on asphalt and slid 10 feet.
    You sound like you're on the mend and recovering quickly. Rich is a good nurse. Take it easy and get fatter tired for that bike!
    Kibbie

    ReplyDelete

New England 5

August 26, 2024 - Monday First day of school here in Lee, MA.  On this first day of his sophomore year, grandson Jacob got a buckle fract...