Thursday, October 26, 2023

Apricity West 4

October 20, 2023 - Friday
Dancing in the morning - learning new ones, too. 

Left for Wickenburg early so we could stop at an estate sale at Miss Ellie’s house. I really wanted an item as a momento to her. Her son, Randy, was there with his sister and the driveway, garage, house, entrance and backyard was neatly packed full of her belongings. As Randy put it, “She loved beautiful, colorful things.” We bought a small box for Rich’s business cards and a Mardi Gras mask for the fun of it. On the way out, I saw a pile of jigsaw puzzles, and he gave me two. I will put them in the Club House with a note that they were hers. 


Near the end of her life, she was in Hospice and unable to talk. An Episcopalian minister sat by her side and asked if she liked certain Episcopalian songs. He then sang them to her and she mouthed them as well. She passed soon after. 
 
Program picture from earlier times…


October 21, 2023 - Saturday
My husband, Bob, would have turned 80 years old today❤️. He always believed he would die at 60 as his father did, but lived to be 74. 
 
At 8am this morning, Nola was across the street trimming a tree that has been long forgotten. It had new growth sprouting wildly out of its side and really needed a haircut. Well Nola, at age 93, took it upon herself to do just that.


October 22, 2023 - Sunday
Happy 18th Anniversary to my daughter and her husband...who is not great at selfies๐Ÿ’•


My church back home is not broadcasting the service today because they are in the middle of a new rug installation, so this instead...


October 23, 2023 - Monday
Dance followed by lunch at the Elks with Miss Karen.


October 24, 2023 - Tuesday
Took a short walk before chair yoga to stack up more calories to eat today. 

I didn’t get to see a football game of grandson, Jacob’s, as the game before we left was rained out. Well, thankfully, there is a mother who takes a whole bunch of pictures at the games and puts them on Facebook. She had a clear picture of Jake that I love. I texted him, nice tackle! He replied, “Lol, it wasn’t a tackle Mimi. I was trying to catch a pass that was a bit off target.” Oh well, at least I saw him in action. 


October 25, 2023 - Wednesday
Line danced and then to Wickenburg for lunch at the Elks and a new haircut for me. This was my first time at Hacienda Salon and I chatted with a couple of other clients there to learn that the pedicurist is VERY GOOD and very busy so my appointment isn’t until December 20th. I’ll figure something out in the meantime for November. Also, was told that the two shops right next to each other with an open door between them is the product of two friends who wanted to open salons in Wickenburg, but didn’t want to work for each other. So to maintain their friendship, they operate right next to and have open access to each other. It works out just fine. My hairdresser, Stephanie, did a great job of listening to what I wanted and offering suggestions too. I really like this cut today, but will see how it looks tomorrow after sleeping with the CPAP strap and fixing it myself in the morning. 


On my walk back to the Elks, I passed the American Legion where a muralist was working on a huge beautiful picture of the Calvary in chase. I asked the artist how he could paint something that big. He said in his Australian accent, “Do you see the board that is white? It is a grid of 1’ by 1’ squares. I paint each inch in a square foot space on the grid.” Makes sense. Who knew?

Find him in this picture…


Did some jigsaw puzzling with Lu in the afternoon. Both of the menfolk were taking naps!
 
October 26, 2023 - Thursday
Took a brief walk before chair yoga today. Little bits of activity allow me more calorie intake during the day. 
 
Tom Kern stopped by to chat - he brought one of his treasure boxes and wood scraps that he keeps. 


The challenge was to figure something out to adorn the top of his beautiful basket box which is done with wood burning. 

 
Decided to join the jam today although there were fewer players than usual. What that means is that we have to come up with more songs to play when it’s our turn. Ugh! It started out rough for me, but got better each song choice I had. Thankfully, Harvey was next to me and would play his guitar from my music giving me more support for rhythm, etc. Rich got me a new blue tooth thingy that plugs into the uke and the amp (no wires) which makes it a lot easier for him, the roadie. 
 
Our favorite UPS driver, Jenny, delivered a package today. We are so happy to see her on this route still. She had done a little purple funk with her hair which I love. 


Our friend Bob came over to share some music he enjoys - turns out to be Gaither Brothers whom I love. It started with a “Few Good Men” and ended up with “America the Beautiful!” My heart was full. ๐Ÿ’—
 
Another fun filled week with weather turning a lot cooler - in the 70’s - LOVE IT! We even put our tufted bed spread on. When we go to bed the window next to me is open; as it gets cooler, I shut it and eventually pull up the puff...
 

1 comment:

  1. Looking good Monda! Like the way you think to "celebrate" no church service. And I think that mask would have been perfect for a Mimi Earth Angels number . . .

    ReplyDelete

New England 5

August 26, 2024 - Monday First day of school here in Lee, MA.  On this first day of his sophomore year, grandson Jacob got a buckle fract...