Thursday, December 15, 2022

Apricity West 3

December 9, 2022 - Friday
Elks new band tonight - Two of a Kind. Ed, the bass player, joins us in the jam session often. It is always a treat. 


This cowboy bellied up to the bar next to me, so I asked him about his outfit. He is playing the role of Brothel Inspector for the Garter Girls & Posse (a Charity with the Wickenburg Elks Lodge helping with Wickenburg charitable needs since 1959!).


December 10, 2022 - Saturday 
Barefoot Lean (Le-en) - 5 years old, oldest of 3 kids - Theo (4) and Ariel (2). Snowy is their dog because they found him in the snow. He was walking up and down the side of the road so I yelled out to see if he was ok? Did he need something? Where is his mom? He wandered over and asked if he could sit in the chair. He is from Zurich, Switzerland - I am the first person he has met at the park. Leaving in 3 days. A big sheep bumped him, found a scorpion under a rock, not in school yet. LOVES Minecraft, “It has everything in the world!” He is building a house in it… We both love spaghetti which makes us 2 times best friends; we both like burgers which makes us four times best friends. He started massaging my shoulders and wanted to hug me.  He is very well behaved and listens to my cues when someone else is visiting and I tell him I'll be with him in a minute - he just went over and sat in a chair. When he leaves, he yells, “I love you."
Pascal, father on bike with carrier, was looking for him and spotted him with me. He brought his shoes for him as protection from scorpions and goat heads. He has had flat tires due to the goat heads. Mother, AnnChristine, and Ariel came by on their bike to say Hi. She is American born and here for her job. She told me he is missing his grandparents from Switzerland - I must fit the mold. I miss my grandchildren so it works out…he is cute as a button. Came back over with a picture he drew of us chillin’.


December 11, 2022 - Sunday
Got all of my supplies for quilling so started cutting strips and rolling straws today.


December 12, 2022 - Monday
Danced and then went into the Elks for lunch - delicious chili. When we were leaving, Jack, one of the patrons who drinks Amber Bach like Rich, stopped and asked, “What town did you say you are from in New York?" When Rich replied Whitehall, Jack invited Jerry, next to him at the bar, to join the conversation. Back in the 60’s, he had visited 18 of the 21 pubs in Whitehall, shooting darts. It turns out that he was in the same graduating class as Rich at Mohawk Valley Technical (now Utica College) - he in Engineering and Rich in Advertising Design. Rich transferred to Paul Smith Culinary College after the first year. I swear, if you talk to enough people long enough, there is always some connection!
 
Was home in time for cardio drumming which has grown to be more popular over time. Three more joined us after this picture.


Went for a ride around the park after dark to see Christmas decorations. This is the only picture that came out…


We have a bell hanging as our decoration. ðŸĪŠ


December 13, 2022 - Tuesday 
Tuesday is “do nothing day”, meaning that nothing is on my weekly calendar. So we went into Safeway, then Elks, then a pedicure. Quite different from Lucky Nails back home, but it still felt good to get the toes cleaned up and polished.
 
Harvey and Dot invited us to go over some songs for the jam on Thursday - a very special offer. I took my ukulele and Rich took his harmonica as Dot plays it by ear. 


When we got home, Lean and his family were gone. ðŸ˜Ē He told me they were going to the ocean next, so I imagine California. I wanted to say goodbye too.
 
December 14, 2022 - Wednesday
Danced again this morning. Back to Harvey and Dot’s to practice for the jam. Denny joined us today and Dot played her harmonica to Across the Great Divide… so happy that these seasoned musicians are willing to spend time helping me along. (See Dot playing in the video attached in this email.)
 
Dot has a 16 year-old, male cat, Zipper, and collects anything cat…  There are miniatures:


On a bigger scale:


December 15, 2022 - Thursday
Today was the jam and things went well - we threw in some Christmas songs today as well. Harvey and Dot stopped over a little later and we had a nice visit. 

At 8:30pm here (10:30 EST), grandson Zach posted on Instagram! I asked him what he was doing up so late - he said, “Tomorrow is a snow day!” On a Friday too - long weekend. I remember those days. This weekend is my church’s 2 night Christmas Concert Fund Raiser and they have to decide whether to cancel it or not. 😞
It is a wonderful production with sooooo many talented people and they work so hard for months to perfect it! 🙏ðŸĪžðŸ™ðŸĪž
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Loved your story about that little boy. Kudos to his parents. They're bring him up right. He'll go far with that personality. Small world about on the story about the guy that went to all the bars in Whitehall. When we moved to our house here at the Lake of the Ozarks, our neighbo was from Glens Falls! Our present neighbor is from Gloversville! Kibbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love to see you continuing to expand and improve your musical skills! Lean, how lucky you both were to have gotten to meet! Cardio drumming - that sounds interesting! Concert went well, but I missed you. Melissa

    ReplyDelete

New England 5

August 26, 2024 - Monday First day of school here in Lee, MA.  On this first day of his sophomore year, grandson Jacob got a buckle fract...